Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Tomato-Mushroom Linguine



Never something I go out of my way to make, sometimes the inclination to do a meatless main dish comes along. This one calls for some fresh tomatoes and basil along with some wine so it's gotta be good, right? I'm a little gun-shy after the last linguine dish, but this one doesn't have beans so we should be set.

Tomato-Mushroom Linguine
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

8 oz. linguine
1 tbsp butter
2 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lb. tomatoes chopped (6 medium) or 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/3 plus 1/4 c coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 c red wine
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese

Cook linguine according to package directions; drain.


Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.


Add mushrooms and onion; cook 5 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring frequently.


Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant.


Add tomatoes, 1/3 cup of the basil, thyme and salt; cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Add wine; continue cooking 5 minutes or until tomato sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.


Stir linguine into tomato sauce.


Serve topped with cheese and remaining 1/4 cup basil.


Judging by appearances, it's a little unsettling. The onions became dark from the mushroom juices and then the finishing red wine caused the sauce to get even darker. It started out looking appetizing with the fresh tomatoes and basil but after thickening it looked dirty. I know I'm being weird about it but I had a hard time getting past that.

Tastewise, it's good, nicely flavored with the fresh ingredients accentuated by the vino. But it seems like it's missing something. Salt? Yes, in the form of cheese, it needs more cheese. I did go skimpy on this portion. Oh, yeah, that's it.Will I do this again? Meh, I doubt it. It just doesn't have the kapow! I'm on the prowl for.

Cost:
  • linguine: $0.75
  • butter: $0.07
  • mushrooms: $1.66
  • onion: $0.51
  • garlic cloves: $0.16
  • tomatoes: $2.53
  • fresh basil: $1.44
  • fresh thyme: $0.65
  • red wine: $1.37
  • Parmesan cheese: $0.06
Total: $9.20 or about $2.30 for each of four servings.

6/11/13
I took the second portion to work for lunch and decided I don't really care for this. I'm sure it's me being funky. If you try it, let me know what you think.

0 comments: