Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Broiled Tuna Tacos



Tacos are delicious especially when all the components such as salsa, guacamole, and even the tortillas, are fresh. Loading them with fresh ahi tuna should make them excellent, right? After subduing the holy-crap-fish-is-expensive anxiety, I went ahead and made the plunge.

Originally written for a grill, I did it in the broiler. And while the recipe called for purchased guacamole, I made my own.

Broiled Tuna Tacos
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

SALSA
1/2 c seeded, chopped tomato
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
1/8 tsp salt

TACOS
1 tbsp canola oil, divided
1 lb. tuna fillet (3/4 inch thick)
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 c guacamole

Combine salsa ingredients in small bowl.


Brush 1/2 tablespoon of the oil over tuna; sprinkle with chile powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.


Heat broiler. Broil tuna 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare, turning once.



Remove tuna; let stand 5 minutes before coarsely chopping.


Spread guacamole over tortillas; place tuna in center. Top with salsa; fold tortillas in half.



These would've been really good - if I liked the ancho chile powder. It is really unfortunate I put a whole teaspoon of it on those tuna steaks. Blech! Rather, I should say, I'm glad I put the lesser recommended amount on the steaks. Hooray! It could've been worse!

Having never cooked a thick steaky fish before, I wasn't confident the total cooking time was ok, but remembered this is the type of fish I've eaten on pieces of sushi so didn't sweat it. It was slightly warm when I touched the cut fish, so am guessing the 2.5-3 minutes on one side and 3-4 minutes on the second side worked out well. For even cooking, I probably should've done the same amount of time on each side. It looked lopsided with one side having a thicker "sear" than the other. If you're interested, the broiler rack was set on the lowest position.

I liked the salsa, or pico de gallo, but wish I'd put some jalapeno - with seeds - in it. Heat would've been nice. I'd added jalapenos to the guacamole, but apparently not enough.

Cost:
  • tomato: $0.81
  • onion: $0.30
  • fresh cilantro: $0.49
  • canola oil: $0.28
  • tuna fillet: $27.74
  • ancho chile powder: $0.10
  • corn tortillas: $0.16
  • guacamole: $1.19
Total: $31.07 or about $7.77 for each of four 2-taco servings.

1 comments:

bhavesh said...

This tuna tacos recipe is a perfect dish to try out this summer. One of the best recipes i have ever tried. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Here i have a special seared tuna tacos recipe. Check out the recipe here: Seared Tuna Tacos