Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sautéed Margarita Shrimp



Shrimp in every form makes me happy. The simplicity of this recipe drew me in. That it uses some of the giant jug of tequila I've had on my fridge for three years is a bonus.

Sautéed Margarita Shrimp
from Cooking Club of America
click to print

3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 lb. shelled, deveined uncooked large shrimp (21 to 30 count)
1/2 c sliced green onion, divided
3 tbsp tequila or margarita mix
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp grated lime peel
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 lime, sliced, optional


My mise en place for this recipe.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.


Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently.


Add 1/4 cup of the green onions; cook 15 to 30 seconds or until onions turn bright green, stirring constantly.


Add tequila, lime juice, lime peel and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir 30 to 60 seconds or until slightly reduced.


Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted.


Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 cup green onions.


Sprinkle with salt; garnish with lime slices.


Fast! I love shrimp particularly when dinner gets started late. Or maybe I start late knowing it'll done quickly? Regardless, I started the rice cooker in advance so it was just waiting for me to do my shrimp thing. Simple.

There is a very faint margarita/tequila flavor; the lime gives the shrimp a fresh flavor while the butter offers a savory velvety feel. I used Chipotle Tabasco for the heat and so that was very mild, almost too faint. I think I might have cooked the sauce down a little too much since a little bit more would've actually been better.

Was this a major flavor explosion? No, not quite, but definitely one I'd do again particularly since the ingredients list is so short and did I say fast? It reminds me of the Across The Border Tequila Shrimp recipe without the garlic.

After dinner, I had some cold baked oatmeal for dessert. I could really tell the margarita taste then. Plan your dessert accordingly.

Cost:
  • unsalted butter: $0.21
  • shrimp (21 to 30 count): $10.49
  • green onion: $0.20
  • tequila: $0.56
  • lime: $0.21
Total: $11.67 or about $2.92 for each of four smallish servings.

0 comments: