Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer Herb-Stuffed Pork Chops



Mixing and matching mains and sides from the selections in the latest magazine, I figured I'd go with these chops. Enough for two, this means I'll have chops for dinner twice. The magazine recommends roasted potatoes and steamed green beans for sides, which would've been colorfully eye-pleasing, but I'm glad I rocked the cauliflower.

Summer Herb-Stuffed Pork Chops
adapted from Cooking Club
click to print

2 boneless center-cut loin pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
3 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs (basil, dill, parsley and/or chives)
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c minced shallots
1/3 c chicken stock
1/3 c white wine or additional chicken broth

With small sharp knife, make horizontal slice in each pork chop to create a pocket, being careful not to cut all the way through.


Spoon herbs into pocket; sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.


Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot.


Add pork; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.


Add shallots; cook over medium heat 30 seconds, stirring frequently.


Add stock; bring to a boil.


Cover; reduce heat to low, simmer 15 minutes or until pork chops are tender and pale pink in center. Remove pork; cover loosely with foil.

I stopped cooking the chops after 8 minutes. I hate overdone chops and overdone is my tendency.

Add wine to skillet; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.

Oops, I turned my back longer than the 3 minutes but not so long that it was ruined.

Spoon sauce over pork.



It was a good thing I didn't cook the chops the entire 15 minutes. They would definitely have been overcooked. These turned out essentially perfect after resting for about 10 minutes. As for flavor, the chops were pretty good but I wouldn't call them stellar. I might do these again with a variety of herbs as suggested. I only used basil out of laziness. If additional herbs were added, there might be a fresh kapow happening.

Cost:
  • boneless center-cut loin pork chops: $6.59
  • fresh basil: $1
  • olive oil: $0.06
  • shallots: $1
  • chicken stock: $0.06
  • white wine: $1.50
Total: $10.21 or about $5.11 for each of two servings.

0 comments: