Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Apple Pie Cheesecake, Gluten-Free



When I spied this recipe, I just about fell out of my chair. I had to try it, it's apple pie cheesecake, man! And since it called for gingersnaps instead of the traditional graham cracker crust, it was obvious to me to make this gluten-free so I could share with all my peeps at work.

Apple Pie Cheesecake, Gluten-Free
adapted from Cooking Club of America
click to print

CRUST
2 c crushed gluten-free gingersnaps
6 tbsp butter, melted

FILLING
24 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 c whipping cream
2 tbsp gluten-free flour
1 tsp amaretto
2 medium firm tart apples, peeled, thinly sliced
1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

TOPPING
1/2 c gluten-free flour
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/4 c finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 c butter, melted

Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray bottom of 10-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In small bowl, stir together all crust ingredients.


Press into bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan; bake 5 to 7 minutes or until set.


Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at medium speed 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.



Beat in eggs, egg yolk, cream, 2 tablespoons flour and flavoring 1 minute or until blended.


In medium bowl, toss apples with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cinnamon until lightly coated.


Pour half of the filling into crust; arrange apples over filling, overlapping slightly.


Pour remaining filling over apples. Bake 40 minutes.


Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together all topping ingredients; sprinkle over cake.


Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and set 3 inches from edge.


Cool on wire rack to room temperature.


Refrigerate overnight. Store in refrigerator.


I wish I'd had the wherewithal to count how many cookies I used to yield the amount required for the crust. All I can tell you is that I was dangerously close to not having enough, those cookies are so freakishly good.

The cheesecake went over exceptionally well. I wish I'd thought to reserve a slice to image. It was very pretty. The only criticism I received was that the crust was "too hard". I really wasn't sure what to make of that. I think maybe I'd packed it into the pan too tightly?

Absolutely creamy with the flavors of apple pie, complete with a Dutch-apple streusel topping and nicely seasoned cookie crust. Winner.

Cost:
  • gluten-free gingersnaps: $2
  • butter: $0.70
  • cream cheese: $3.34
  • sugar: $0.47
  • eggs: $0.90
  • whipping cream: $0.24
  • gluten-free flour: $0.25
  • amaretto: $0.13
  • apples: $0.72
  • light brown sugar: $0.24
  • walnuts: $0.35
Total: $9.34 or about $0.78 for each of 12 servings.

0 comments: