Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Disaronno Originale Amaretto Liqueur



I've come to realize that a dish is made great with liquor. It's just a fact.


The next Ramsay recipe I'll execute called for some amaretto so I went out and got some.


I picked a middle-of-the-price-range amaretto. It's funky with the square glass bottle and square screw-top cap. Hopefully the flavor isn't funky.


Here's a clip from Wiki:
Disaronno Originale (28% abv) has a characteristic bittersweet almond taste (although it contains no almonds or nuts) and is known for its distinctive appearance. Disaronno has been in production since about 1900. It claims its "originale" amaretto's "secret formula" is unchanged from 1525, and claims the Luini tale as its own particular history. Its production remains in Saronno, but the product is sold worldwide.
It is slightly disturbing that it tastes like almonds but has no almonds in it. That screams science project to me. Regardless, it's what I bought and I'm rollin' with it. It does smell good.

Disaronno Originale Amaretto Liqueur in a 750-mL bottle for $19.99 at BevMo!. That makes each of 50.7 tablespoons about $0.39.

0 comments: