Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Zergut Kalamata Olives



This is only the second time I've ever bought kalamata olives. The first time was back in 2008 and it was a purchase from Costco. Needless to say, it was enough to keep me in supply for years.

More practical now than I was then, I selected a jar of olives at the normal-sized grocery store where not everything is huge or packed in multiples. This is still a fairly large jar.


Of all the olives I've tried, kalamata's are my favorite. I like their size, their color, their flavor.


For the first time, I had to pit olives.


Just press the flat side of a knife against an olive and it will split open. Then you can pick the pit out. The pits remind me a little bit of the ones in dates.


Then chop the olives for your next recipe. For me, that's going to be a bread.


Zergut Kalamata Olives, available in the limited jarred/canned section of Grower's Direct for $4.99 a 19-oz jar, making each of 22 three-olive servings about $0.23.

0 comments: