Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tee's Corn Pudding



Ok, so let's see. Creamed corn has corn and cream in it and tastes good but has a gross soupy texture. A corn pudding has corn and cream but I'm betting there won't be runny milk at the bottom. This is so exciting!

Tee's Corn Pudding
adapted slightly from MyRecipes
click to print

11 to 13 ears fresh corn, husks removed
1/4 c sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter, melted
2 c whipping cream
6 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°.

Cut kernels from cobs into a large bowl (about 6 cups). Scrape milk and remaining pulp from cobs; discard cobs.

I used a giant bowl and put my smallest cutting board in it at an angle. I held the corn perpendicular to the board and cut from tip to bottom; the kernels fell into the bowl. No giant mess.

Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.


Whisk together butter, whipping cream, and eggs in a large bowl.

Normally you'd beat the eggs first, then added cream and melted butter. I'm the dishwasher around here so I melted the butter in the big bowl and then added cream and the eggs, saving me from having an extra dish to wash. It took a minute to chase the eggs around and get 'em all beaten but my new whip is indeed bad ass!

Gradually add sugar mixture to egg mixture, whisking until smooth.


Stir in corn.


Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

I don't know if the corn would eventually settle out in the dish but I helped it out by sort of swishing the corn around in the liquid so it was more evenly distributed.

Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes.



The pudding turned out to be very pretty with just a slight crust on top. And I was right! You get the creamy goodness and all of the corn delight without soup. Plus it was so easy to make! Winner!

Cost:
  • fresh corn: $8.69
  • sugar: $0.24
  • all-purpose flour: $0.02
  • butter: $0.20
  • whipping cream: $1.93
  • eggs: $1.95
Total: $12.83 or about $1.60 for each of 8 generous servings.

0 comments: