Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Spice-Crusted Cross Rib Roast



This was supposed to be a sirloin tip roast but I bought what I thought was the closest thing to it, a cross rib roast. I've never used a cross rib roast before so had no freaking idea what was going to happen with this recipe. The only thing I was sure of is that the spice mixture sounded wildly fascinating. Cinnamon and crushed red pepper together? I don't think I've had that yet.

Spice-Crusted Cross Rib Roast
adapted from Cooking Club, Winter 2014
click to print

SPICE MIXTURE
2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed (I used 2 tsp ground coriander seeds)
1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

BEEF
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 lb. beef cross rib roast, patted dry

Heat oven to 350ºF. Line small rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Combine spice mixture ingredients in small cup.


Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.


Cook beef 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides.


Place roast on baking sheet. Sprinkle spice mixture over top of roast; pressing to adhere.

Don't forget the temperature probe.

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until internal temperature in center of roast reaches 135 to 140ºF for medium rare. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 15 minutes before thinly slicing.

The roast reached 135°F in 60 minutes.


So incredibly easy to make! Even though my roast stood for an hour while the vegetables roasted, the juice leaked out everywhere while on the baking sheet and more leaked out on the plate; I thought for sure the beef would be like pink jerky, but it turned out to be nice and juicy and tender anyway. I'm mystified by that. The spice mix was excellent! I'll have to do another cross rib roast sometime in the future. Sandwiches are in my future and I bet they'll be awesome.

Cost:
  • extra-virgin olive oil: $0.09
  • 3 lb. beef cross rib roast: $9.30
Total: $9.39 but I'll round up to $10 to include the spices, making each of six generous servings about $1.67.

0 comments: